There’s a few things I cannot live without in this world, and Italian food is at the top of this list. ((Right next to peanut butter cups)). However, I don’t enjoy all the carbs and useless calories in noodles. It’s great to splurge, but not every night.
I was craving pasta horribly, but after eating junk all weekend I couldn’t justify another bad meal. As usual I stared at what we had and just went for it. I made an Italian Sausage Sweet Potato Bake in the skillet. It turned out phenomenal and it will now be added to our rotation. Loaded with veggies and meaningful carbs.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 peppers
- Italian Turkey Sausage
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- Marinara Sauce
- Proves cheese (optional)
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes into bite size pieces. Cut onion and peppers into slivers. Mine were about 1 inch long and 1/4″ wide.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Place turkey sausage in skillet with 1/4 cup water. Bring to boil and cook until finished.
- Add sweet potatoes to skillet with olive oil. Cover with lid and allow to cook.
- When sweet potatoes begin to soften, add peppers and onion.
- Season potatoes, peppers and onion with garlic and paprika. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When sausage is finished cooking, cut into slices. Add sausage to potato mixture.
- Stir everything together. Add marinara to liking. Stir again.
- *optional* top with cheese and allow to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!